A few weeks ago we reported on a possible leak for the contents of the upcoming PS4 firmware and it looks like we were spot on with the list of new features coming to the console. But there’s a very important extra that’s been added to the list since, and for many gamers, it’ll be the most important one.
For a while now, the measly 1GB of cloud storage for save files has been woefully inadequate, especially seeing as some PS4 games use up more than 100MB per file. Why on earth Apotheon needs over 300MB, I’ll never understand. Gamers with large collections have had to manually delete files from the cloud and turn the auto-upload of some files to ‘off’, leaving them vulnerable without a manual USB backup.
Well, you can forget about that problem for a while once 3.0 arrives. Online storage is being boosted to a mighty 10GB, which should keep you going for a few years.
Other features included are quite the crowd-pleasers too. YouTube livestreaming could be a hit with the site’s new focus on Twitch-esque gaming channels. An Events tab will show seasonal highlight of in-game events. We’re really excited about the new Communities feature too where you can join larger groups of like-minded players without adding them to your Friends list – essentially, it’ll be an ace way to give Destiny’s Raid modes a matchmaking system seeing as Bungie don’t think we can handle one.
The update hasn’t been dated yet, but it’s thought that PS4 owners on the new beta program may get access soon. Take a look at the official blurb below for more details about the new features.
- Events: A new hub for events has been added, giving an overview of activities taking place in the games you play most, as well as official broadcasts. For instance, you may see an update for a double XP weekend, a special enemy appearing at a scheduled time, or seasonal events like in-game towns being decorated for the winter.
- YouTube live: PS4 owners will be able to live stream gameplay to YouTube. Live streams will be viewable across YouTube, including on the new YouTube Gaming mobile app and website.
- Online storage capacity increase: PlayStation Plus members’ PS4 cloud storage capacity will increase from 1GB to 10GB.
- Favourite Groups: Favourite Groups has been added to the Friends app, letting you add new or existing groups as a Favorite Group and quickly access groups of people you like to play games with frequently. This will make the process of getting a game session up and running even easier.
- Communities: PS4 users will have the ability to create communities based around shared interests, like games, genres and more. Communities include a message board with general discussion, screenshots shared by players and the ability to join parties or games. If you want to tackle a big multiplayer raid, but don’t have enough friends, this could be a great way to connect with other likeminded players.
- Sharing video clips to Twitter: Users will have the ability to share video clips directly to Twitter. The maximum video length is 10 seconds, but you’ll have the ability to trim longer clips.
- Live from PlayStation: We’ve added the ability for users to view popular broadcasts, video clips and screenshots on the Live From PlayStation area.
- Screenshots: We’ve listened to your feedback and we’re happy to confirm that PNG format is now an option for Screenshot saves.
- Now Playing: The Now Playing screen will display more information about what your friends are doing, and you’ll be able to quickly jump into a party, request a screen share, or jump to PlayStation Store to buy a game your friend is playing.
- Request to watch: Want to view a friend’s gameplay session? Now you can send a ‘Request to Watch’ notification to a player, which will start a live broadcast or Share Play invitation to the person playing.
- Stickers: Tired of typing out messages? With this update, you’ll be able to send stickers to friends through the messages.